Saturday, May 8, 2010

Nest Building

For the past few days I've been watching a bird.  My desk looks out this window and since the clematis vine is a popular spot for birds, there is always activity to distract me from my work. What I realized yesterday is that it seemed like the same robin kept visiting, and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe she had other plans.  Yesterday we saw her with a beak full of moss and twigs and my suspicions were confirmed.  She is building a nest! 

This is all good except for the fact that her nest is two feet away from our front door.  And our deck.  And pretty much the grand central station of our house.  I'm not sure how this is going to work.  Do we quit using our front door until her babies are hatched?  Or did she choose this spot knowing people go back and forth here and is comfortable with our human activity?   
I am watching her go back and forth to her nest, carrying bits of nest material, so I don't think she has laid her eggs just yet.  I am desperate to see closer but of course want to respect her privacy.  I snuck out the side door yesterday morning and climbed a chair to get a better look.  I managed to get a picture of her but then my precariously perched position on the chair faltered and I tumbled to to the deck--making a good deal of noise.  She flew away of course, but even that loud clatter hasn't stopped her from nest building.  I'm excited to have baby birds right outside my window.  I'll try and get pictures without disturbing her.  The thought of blue robin's eggs and baby birds is a very nice Mother's Day gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment