Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Leaf to Remember

I have an experiment going on in one of the gardens I care for, and I'm pretty sure it's going to end badly.  It involves a plant with giant leaves--really colossal sized leaves.  The plant is an ornamental rhubarb and this particular garden is the perfect habitat for them.  I planted two of them in different areas of the garden and the leaves are stunning.  Almost shockingly bold.  The first leaves to come out are the largest and on one of the plants, the leaves measure almost three feet across!  This is the third season for these plants and I swear they are getting bigger.

Early this spring I noticed that one of them was putting together a giant flower pod.  This particular variety is prized for its leaves.  And generally speaking, when you are growing a plant for its leaves, you remove any flowers that form.  (You don't want the plant putting its energy into reproducing, which is really what the flowers are all about.)  But this flower stalk was looking so immense that I was really curious about it and decided to throw out the rule and see what would happen. 

I stand just under 5 foot 5 inches and this flower stalk is now well over my head.  The leaves are now spaced out on this stalk and aren't quite as fabulous as the sister plant who is focusing on her amazing leaves.  I'm really not sure what will happen to the plant once it blooms.  It's possible that it will be done for the season, which would be sad as this particular plant and its placement allow for an interesting conversation piece in the garden.  It's also possible that the flower will be so spectacular that my experiment will have been a success.    Either way, it's a good bit of garden drama to keep me entertained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment