Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May Day Plant Sale

I have a particular love for any holiday that revolves around celebrating flowers.  And May Day has always been one of my favorites.  When I was little, I loved the tradition of giving flower bouquets to our neighbors--hanging the bouquet from the door, ringing the doorbell and then darting into the shrubbery to hide while they found the bouquet.  I'm sure they never heard my giggles.  Our girls have continued the tradition with our neighbors, and I think the local plant sales this time of year are another way of celebrating May flowers.

Every year our local Thriftway has a May Day plant sale.  It starts at 6 AM and I've heard that it's quite crowded that early in the morning.  I've never seen those early crowds as I am not the type to set my alarm unless I have to!  And I'm completely OK if something I wanted is gone by the time I arrive at the more reasonable hour of 8:00 or 9:00.  But I admire those who choose to get up early simply to buy flowers.   

Probably what I love best about this May Day plant sale is that it signifies the beginning of annual planting season.  I am, at this point in the year, really tired of weeding and composting.  I love being outside right now if nothing else because the birds are so entertaining, but the unseasonably cold weather these past few days has been downright depressing.  And I am really tired of Spring jobs.  But with trays of annuals at my disposal, I am looking forward to going to work.  Finally my job has shifted again, as it always does with the seasons.  This is one of the best parts about my work-- nature gives me this built in job change every season.  And this one is particularly satisfying because unlike the weeding and pruning jobs which are only noticeable when they are not done, freshly planted annual flowers are instantly eye-catching.  Who can resist May Day flowers?  

No comments:

Post a Comment