Monday, May 3, 2010

Hummingbird Rescue


We had to initiate a hummingbird rescue operation this evening.  We left our garage door open, and when we got back Grace thought she saw a giant insect on the ceiling.  I got out to look and it was a hummingbird! He was buzzing along the ceiling of our garage looking for a way out, and we felt terrible watching him struggle.  We didn't want to scare him, and I wasn't sure it was a good idea to even try and catch him, but we thought if we opened up both garage doors and the window maybe he would find his way out.  We did all of this and went inside to make dinner, keeping our fingers crossed that he would find his way.

After dinner, I sent the girls out to feed the goats and Grace came in all panicked that our little hummingbird was still trapped and not looking good.  I know very little about bird rescues but it felt like it was time to be a bit proactive.  The only thing I know about hummingbirds is that they need a steady intake of sugar to keep doing that insane flying thing they do so well.  And this little guy was looking awfully tuckered out.  I put on my garden gloves and climbed up to where he was perched on our garage door opener.  Very gently I lifted him off and cupped my hands around his little body--he felt like nothing, no weight at all.  And then I slowly went outside and opened up my hands.  He stayed.  And he looked terrible!  Flying up on the ceiling he had collected some cobwebs on his beak and on his feet.  And it looked like some of his feathers were worn off on the top of his head.  He was still breathing but his eyes were closed and he seemed to be resting.  I took him close to some flowers I've seen hummingbirds feeding from, but he wasn't interested. 

He was in my hand for so long that I had time to ask Emily to get the camera so we could take a picture.  Sophie felt that was not very respectful of him, but it is a rare thing to hold a hummingbird and I wanted to get a close up of him.  It was amazing to be able to study his features.  His wings were so small they looked like single feathers.  And his beak was long, black and had a slight curve in it.  Even in his worn out state, his feathers still gave off that iridescent shimmer. I've never had the privilege of seeing one so still for so long. 

Finally, he opened his eyes, appeared to take a bigger breath, and spread out his tail feathers and his wings--as if he was doing a pre-flight check.  Then in a whirl he took off and flew to the top of one of our pear trees.  I hope he is OK.  I'm not sure how he is going to get the cobwebbing off his beak or his feet, but I'm hopeful that he will get himself cleaned up.  I said a little prayer for him and am already thinking of more hummingbird-type flowers I can add to the garden.  This little guy has some feathers to grow and he's going to need a lot of sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Megan - Wow, what an exciting evening! I LOVE hummingbirds and after waiting and watching every year, we finally had one show up last year feasting on our wisteria! Your blog is great! - Susan P.S. Have you noticed that the sunflowers are up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also happened to me once. I believe the Hummingbird came into the garage because of a red hanging pull attached to the garage door. We also caught the bird, and he "played dead" in our hands when we tried to let him go. I wonder if this is common? I hope the little bird is OK!

    ReplyDelete