Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The View from My Office

We woke up this morning to sunshine streaming through the windows, and the sound of foghorns coming off the water.  I love that sound--even in the middle of summer.  We don't live right next to the water, but we're close enough that when the fog rolls in, we hear the foghorns loud and clear.  In the summer when our windows are open, it sounds like the ships are right across the street.

This morning the fog was low and hadn't come inland very far, so we had beautiful sunshine.  I packed up my truck and headed off to work.  The garden I was working in is high bank waterfront on the Seattle side of the island.  Normally from this place you can see the entire east side of the sound--from Mt. Rainier to Mt. Baker, with Seattle in between.  I walked out to the bank's edge this morning and it was as if there was no edge.  All you could see from the high bank was the soft muted whiteness of the fog.  The fog rolled up and over, drifting in waves, lapping at the edge of the bank.  As the morning progressed, the sunshine began to weave through it and soon I could see the water down below.  It wasn't long before the sun dispersed this heavy summer fog.

All I could think about though, was that I have an amazing view from my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment