Friday, November 4, 2011

Angry Rabbits and Friendly Goats

The animals are acting peculiar. Not quite normal.  Of course this assumes that animals have a "normal" and aren't affected by the seasons, the weather and their hormones; which of course they are.

Parsley the Rabbit
And I shouldn't go so far as to say that all of our animals are acting strangely.  It's just the rabbit and one of our goats.  The rabbit is mostly angry.  He is currently an angry ball of white fluff.   Every time we enter the barnyard, we enter slowly...and keep a sharp eye out for him.  He doesn't bite or hurt us, but he runs at our feet while making these mad snorting sounds.  The image most people have of a quiet little bunny?  Not true.  Rabbits are very capable of expressing themselves--or at least ours is.

He's mad when we come to feed him and he's mad when he's finished eating.  He wants his rabbit treat, and he wants it right now!  And we do of course feed him, but he seems extra hungry lately.  After he finishes his food, he pulls the dish out of his hutch and tosses it into the air.  We're pretty sure he's using some choice rabbit swear words as he does this.  Our guess is that he senses the upcoming cold temperatures and is trying to fatten himself up.  But the anger?  Not sure why.

Blackberry is acting strangely too.  Only his change is a good one.  He is 3 1/2 years old and has been our goat since he was 3 months old.  We named him Blackberry and he's grown into the name well.  He is prickly.  Untrusting.  Difficult.  His sixth sense about goat maintenance tasks like hoof-trimming and worming are impeccable, and make him difficult to work with.  And after years of treats and care, he still maintains a suspicious eye for the humans in his life.  He tolerates us, but has never seemed to bond with us.
Blackberry

But about two weeks ago, his suspicious nature started to crack.  It seemed like he was trying to play...with me!  At first I didn't know what to make of his behavior.  He was acting like he does with the other goats, wagging his tail, turning his head, prancing and doing the crazy head butting thing they do.  At first I wondered if he had finally decided to attack me.  But he just wasn't acting aggressive.  It was definitely playful.  So I gave him a good scratch behind his ears and rubbed his back--something he rarely lets me do.

And now we have this ritual every morning after I bring the goats their hay.  Blackberry wants attention from me!  He is acting more like a golden retriever than a prickly goat.  I suddenly feel like I have a lovable animal and I look forward to his funny morning antics.  I'm pretty sure his change in behavior is a result of too much head-butting.  Maybe he's finally given himself a concussion and has forgotten that he doesn't trust me.

Either way, I now enter the barnyard poised for an attack from the angry rabbit, and ready to play with my once prickly goat.  The seasons are definitely changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment