Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Mushroom Forest


Summer has given way to Fall, and Winter feels right around the corner.  Each morning I awake to a little less light, a little more dark.  The dampness is beginning to permeate the soil and the air, and I find that I am dragging my feet about going to work.  It's warm in the house and cold outside.


But I am always glad for the fresh air and glad for a job that forces me outside, even when it's cold and rainy.  The garden offers treasures to find in every season, and in the damp, cool of these Fall days, it is the mushroom forests that appear--seemingly overnight--that catch my eye.



I still haven't learned which are good for eating, so I stay away from harvesting.  But I'm hoping to someday learn this art.  First, my curiosity is endless when it comes to plants, and it pains me that I don't know the edible from the non-edible of the mushroom world.  I know most of the edible plants and berries that are native to our region, so mushrooms are the logical next frontier of knowledge for me.  But unlike most of the native plants around here, mushroom harvesting comes with danger.  Eat the wrong one and you could end up in the hospital fighting for your life.  So for now, I enjoy their sudden emergence into the Fall garden landscape, and buy the delicious local mushrooms at the grocery store.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Megan. I too would like to learn about mushroom hunting. A friend of my husband took him chanterelle mushroom hunting a couple of years ago. They came back with a basketful of delicious chanterelle mushrooms. It was quite a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some decent points there.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming time. I enjoy that you place an excellent content that is articulate and well-written. I like this web site because there is so much useful stuff in here. Great.

    psilocybe cubensis syringe

    ReplyDelete