Thursday, March 3, 2011

Daydreaming...

lush gardens of Kauai

Our visit to the warm island of Kauai was well-timed.  I think I soaked in enough sunshine and warmth to get me through this last, hard stretch of winter.  And seeing all of the flowers and colors in Hawaii reminded me that we will have flowers and bright colors here too....eventually.  And I miss our bright colors.  The northwest is famous for the color green.  We have every shade of green here, but as we get closer to summer, our current shade of grayish green grows into a lush emerald green--close to the green of a tropical island.

So I have been daydreaming about flowers and foliage this past week.  And since working has been difficult with frozen soils, I've spent some time at my favorite nursery, checking out the new plants.  Shipments of new plants are arriving, but they are whisked away to the greenhouse for safekeeping.  Honestly, I can think of nothing better than wandering around a greenhouse filled with Spring's potential.  I highly recommend this activity for keeping Seasonal Affective Disorder at bay.

I did get some rain-free, slush-free time in the garden today, and I enjoyed seeing the primroses getting ready to bloom and the nodding heads of the beautiful hellebores.  We do have some pretty flowers now, but winter is holding on tight this year and the garden is slow to awaken.  So in my head I was anticipating the garden as it will look in May and June--filled with blooms and birds, sunshine and insects.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Megan, you and me both. Lately, I feel like I just have to repeatedly telling myself that spring is around the corner, and that can only mean that summer is only 4 months away. I'm so glad you guys got to escape all of this grey for beautiful Hawaii! Hope to see you soon, I'd love to catch up and hear all about your trip!

    ReplyDelete