Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Winter Light

Hamamelis intermedia 'Luna'

With gray being the dominant color this time of the year, I look for light anywhere I can find it.  My brain is completely depleted of the feel-good chemicals that come from a sunny day.  I know the days are getting longer, but I am in the throes of Seasonal Affective Disorder (I love that this "disorder" is termed SAD!)  So, to combat my "illness", I head out to the garden.  I'm positive that if I spend enough time outside, I'll pick up at least a few rays of ambient light.

Hamamelis intermedia 'Diane'


Witch Hazels are my favorite garden plant this time of the year.  Their bright, spidery blooms light up the winter garden.  A little bit of sunshine on a cloudy day.

Hamamelis intermedia 'Jelena'


Witch Hazels were once primarily yellow, but new cultivars in shades of red, orange and copper have been introduced over the past few years.  All gorgeous.  AND, all softly fragrant.  And most varieties offer nice Fall foliage as well.

Hamamelis intermedia 'Firecracker'

I've never been able to put my finger on it, but these plants add some sort of intangible quality to the garden.  The winter blooms, the fragrance, the fall color...all of these traits make for an exceptional addition to the garden.  But they offer more.



Maybe it's the fact that witch hazels have been used medicinally for hundreds of years.  And that it was the women--the midwives, healers and "witches"--who knew the secrets of herbal medicine.  Maybe I feel some connection to this ancient garden lore?  Whatever it is, witch hazels bring that elusive quality that helps to make a garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment