Friday, December 30, 2011

The Head and The Heart


Few topics can create a passionate debate between your head and your heart quite like puppies.  And when puppies suddenly enter into the lives of very close friends, the question of taking one home just as suddenly enters into your life.  Your heart sees the sweet little creature, hears its tiny attempts at dog noises, feels its soft fur, and implores you to bring home the puppy.

Your head on the other hand, sees the very messy little creature.  Sees how expensive it's going to be, sees how it's going to destroy your house and add more chaos to your already busy family and says a firm "no way" to the heart's emotional longing.


My 16-year-old daughter is all heart when it comes to puppies, as she should be.  She has been lobbying for a dog since she was little and she is the girl who really does love animals.  Her head, however, is nowhere near this decision.  Doesn't take into account that she is leaving for college in about 18 months, or that she is a busy high school junior whose time is filled with school, sports and a job.  She is quick to tell me that she will take care of a puppy; but when I ask her "when?",  She just smiles a sheepish grin, realizing that she knows she has no time for a puppy, but she really hopes that I do!

A puppy, combined with a child who wants a puppy, is a dangerous combination.  And if it weren't for the fact that I tend to give my heart a lot of input when making decisions, I might have some space for a puppy.  But the fact is that my heart has brought me many animals over the years.  We currently have four goats and one rabbit; but our home has hosted three guinea pigs, two other rabbits, one other goat, three hermit crabs and a few fish.  Our daughters have been raised with all sorts of animals--mostly because of the longings and wishes of our collective hearts.  And I am grateful for this.

My head, on the other hand, makes a very good case for why a puppy is not the best idea right now.  My head is very rational.  But in the end, this decision isn't made by either my head or my heart.  Because in the end, neither has the complete picture--they are just part longing and part thinking.   At some point, both voices, having been given time to win me over, become distilled into a knowing.  Sort of like a gut instinct.  And my instinct tells me that right now, things wouldn't go well for the puppy or for me at this point in time.  It's not something I'm talking myself into or out of, I just know that my plate is full to the brim with other creatures and people who depend on me.   And I'm also excited to jump into some new endeavors for me--without a puppy as a distraction.


I am, however, very grateful to have friends with puppies.  We get to watch the puppies grow, pick them up and cuddle them,  and play with them.  Even puppy-sit from time to time!  My heart and my head are both quite happy with this arrangement.  Until the next time some baby creature come along and captures my heart and we do this process all over again...

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear it...we might have had to do another "intervention"....

    ReplyDelete