Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rainy skies/Sunshine plants

I'm not even sure what season it is.  I know the calendar says September, but the weather is so far away from our norm, that it just doesn't feel right.  The rain showers have felt more like spring, the sky looks more like November and the humidity doesn't feel normal for us in any season! All in all, this weather is throwing my natural sense of the seasons.

I've just read Cliff Mass' post on the rainfall records we have broken over the past few days, and though it's amazing to read the data of our weather, I'm not reading anything I couldn't have guessed.  Deluges of rain are just not normal for a Northwest September.

Yesterday afternoon, after watching Sophie and Grace play soccer games in intense humidity on very muddy fields, the sky darkened and the rain fell.  Oddly, the temperature was still close to 70 degrees and the sky took on a strange orange/green/gray color.  In fact, the sky looked so odd that we had to go outside in the rain just to see it.  And I'm so glad we did because the garden took on incredible shades of red.  Every plant that is naturally red in color looked particularly bright; almost as if the plants decided to glow with sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment