Monday, April 26, 2010

Western Bleeding Heart

The bleeding hearts were a seriously fun surprise the first spring I lived here.  That was fifteen years ago and I had never seen them before.  Or perhaps I had just never noticed them before.  But when their gray-green lacey foliage first unfolded and then sent up stocks of little pink hearts, I was smitten! 

At first we had just a few patches along our gravel road, but they have spread easily and now are all along the road and over the wooded parts of our garden.  I finally looked them up in my garden book to find some more information on them.  They are officially called the Western Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa).  And it does indeed look like they are special.  I read one account that says they only grow wild in a few areas of the world--our wooded Pacific coastal area being one of them.  All I know is that I am grateful to them for rambling through our garden in a more beautiful way than I ever could have planned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment